Peach and Blueberry Custard Pancakes
These pancakes are what Saturday brunch should be. If you haven't had peach pancakes, you need to. Seriously. The sweetness and acidity of the peach makes for the most amazing cake. Peaches are at the peak of their season right now, so there's no time like the present to try these guys out! If you live in an area where peaches are not in season, you can also use frozen peaches as well!
Custard pancakes tend to be a bit more dense than your classic pancake. The eggy consistency give great texture but also gives kind of a dessert feeling with this dish (and I think that's why I love them so much).
There are simple ingredients, but they sure pack a punch a flavor.
First you're going to grab a large bowl and combine all of your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and whisk together.
Grab a separate large bowl and add your milk and peach pieces. For my recipe, I used an immersion blender to blend the milk with my peaches, but you're welcome to use a stand alone blender as well. If you don't have a blender, feel free to just throw the peach slices into the batter. While that won't give you the full peach flavor, they will still taste amazing.
Add the eggs and the melted butter to your peachy milk mixture and stir to combine.
Carefully pour your liquid ingredients into your dry ingredients and stir just until all the ingredients are incorporated.
Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and pour about ¼ cup of batter onto griddle. Drop a few blueberries and peach slices onto each pancake and cook until bubbles form and the cakes are golden brown. Flip and cook until nice and golden on the other side.
Meanwhile, get that whipped cream going. In a large mixing bowl, add your whipped cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Using an electric mixer or standing mixer, whip until soft peaks form and you're done! If you don't have an electric mixer or standing mixer, grab your whisk and get to work ;)
Ingredients for the pancakes:
· 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
· pinch of salt
· 1 1/2 cups milk
· 2 eggs, beaten
· 3 tablespoons butter, melted
· 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
· 1 cup fresh blueberries (or frozen)
· 2 fresh peaches, 1 peeled and cut into pieces (or 1 cup frozen peaches thawed) and 1 cut into slices
· 2-3 tablespoons butter (for cooking pancakes)
Ingredients for the whipped cream:
· 1 cup heavy whipping cream
· 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt and whisk together.
2. In a medium bowl add the milk and peach slices. Using an immersion blender, blend the peaches and milk until frothy and smooth. Add the beaten eggs and melted butter.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir just until combined.
4. Heat a griddle or cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add butter and pour about ¼ cup of batter onto griddle. Drop a few blueberries and peach slices onto each pancake and cook until bubbles form and the cakes are golden brown. Flip and cook until nice and golden on the other side.
5. Prepare the whipped cream. In a large bowl add the heavy whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
6. Using an electric mixer, beat the cream until it forms soft peaks.
7. Drizzle honey over the pancakes and garnish with whipped cream!