Sweet, salty, tangy, and nutty: THE perfect dessert. Give yourself a days notice when making this. You have to soak the rice over night before you can cook it. But it's worth the wait! This is a common dessert in Thailand, although most Americans that have been to any Thai restaurant have seen this on the dessert menu. If you haven't, give it a try!
First you're going to start by preparing the sticky rice. The recipe is as follows:
· 2 cups Thai sticky rice (Thai glutinous rice)
Instructions: 1. Rinse the rice under water until the water runs clear and is no longer cloudy. Fill bowl with water, about an inch above the rice and place it in the refrigerator to soak over night.
2. In a large sauce pan place your bamboo steamer or use any steamer you have at home. Bring water to a boil. Place rice in a cheese cloth or light cloth and lay it carefully in the steamer. Fold the cloth over the rice and put the lid on top.
3. Steam for 20 minutes or until the rice is done. Feel free to open the cloth and taste test for texture, similar to testing spaghetti.
4. Serve immediately or place in an airtight container as it dries out immediately.
Mango Sticky Rice
Sweet coconut sticky rice
· 2 cups cooked Thai sticky rice
· 1 cup of coconut cream (if using coconut milk add 1 teaspoon corn starch)
· ½ cup sugar
· ¼ teaspoon salt
· 1 mango cut in slices
Salted coconut cream sauce:
· ½ cup coconut cream
· ¼ teaspoon salt
1. Prepare sticky rice first, it should be ready once the sauces are made.
2. Start making the sweet coconut sauce. In a medium sauce pan combine 1 cup of coconut cream, sugar, and salt. Once the sugar and salt have melted, the sauce is complete.
3. Stir the sweet coconut sauce into the sticky rice and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to sit for 15 minutes for the cream to soak into the rice.
4. Make the salted coconut cream sauce. Combine ½ cup coconut cream and ¼ teaspoon salt. When the salt is melted, the sauce is done.
5. Place the mango slices on the plate, rice next to it, then drizzle the salted coconut cream sauce over the top. Enjoy!